What is OpenSea?

OpenSea is an online music licensing service which allows the creators of visual media to obtain the necessary legal rights to use music from the OpenSea catalogue in their audio-visual projects. Whether it’s for a TV ad, film, a wedding video, a video game, or any other audio-visual use, we can provide the right sync licence to suit the use.

What is a Sync Licence? Why do I need one?

You need permission from the copyright owner of a sound recording and the owner of the song itself (the musical work) if you want to use music in an audiovisual project. This is the case regardless of whether the intended use is for a commercial purpose or not. ‘Sync’ is short for synchronisation and refers to the act of synchronising music with audio-visual images. If you use a piece of music on your audio-visual production and you do not obtain a sync licence from the relevant copyright owners you could be liable for copyright infringement.

OpenSea offers a range of standard licences which cover the sync rights to use the recording and the musical work in one simple process. Our licences give you the legal permission you need to use music in your project.

Why should I Use OpenSea?

OpenSea provides a catalogue of quality music from independent Australian and NZ artists across a range of genres. We are proud to be supporting and promoting these artists to reach new audiences and develop new revenue streams from their music. In a time when income from recorded music is falling, synch licensing is a way for independent artists to sustain and build their careers. By licensing from OpenSea you have the opportunity to support independent artists and discover unique sounds for your production.

Why do I need an OpenSea User Account?

There are a bunch of features which are only available to you if you have an OpenSea account, these are:

  • Listen to full-length tracks: You will only be able to listen to the full-length tracks once you have logged in.
  • Access to temp tracks: You can download low-resolution mp3s from the OpenSea catalogue to use as temp tracks to test out in your project. Once you are ready to finalise your project just select and purchase the applicable licence and you will be able to download the hi-res fully licensed track.
  • Download links: Once you license a track your account will retain the download link so you can come back and download the track again.
  • News and new tracks: Keep up to date with all the latest OpenSea News, additions to the catalogue and tips.

It’s easy and free to open an OpenSea account, click here to get started.

How do I ensure I have the right type of OpenSea licence?

Check out our Licence Types to make sure your intended use is covered. If you can’t work out which licence you need, send us an email at hello@jazzcowboyproductions.com.au and we can help.

What types of uses are covered by OpenSea Standard Licences?

Generally, our standard licences are for non-commercial uses online uses. We have standard licences for indie films, internal business uses, wedding videos, blogs & vlogs. We also offer Custom Licences for commercial and larger-scale projects.

What types of distribution formats are covered by OpenSea Standard Licences?

We provide Standard Licences for Online, External and Internal distribution formats (see definitions of each of these below in the Definitions section). For paid advertising, broadcast or other commercial usages you will require a Custom Licence.

Definitions & commonly used terms

Below are some of the terms which are commonly used on OpenSea and in our Standard Licences.

Copyright Owner(s) means the person (or other entity) which owns and controls the copyright in the Master Recording and/or the Musical Work.

Crowdfunding Platform means a website/service which facilitates crowdfunding such as Kickstarter, Pozible, Pledge.

Distribution means the method by which you will be distributing or communicating your audiovisual production, e.g online, hard copy, broadcast, television, cinema etc.

External means use involving face to face interactions with people outside your business or organisation such as conferences, training presentations, in-stores and trade shows. Does not include any online, broadcast or other media uses.

Film Festival means to use in an independent film for submission and screening at film festivals.

Licence Fee means the fee that you pay to OpenSea to secure the applicable licence.

Instrumental means a song without any lyrics or vocals.

Internal means use internally within a single business or organisation such as training materials, meetings, presentations.

Licence Period means the length of time (term) that the licence is valid. For example, the Licence Period could be limited to a certain timeframe (12 months) or perpetual (forever).

Master Sound Recording means a sound recording of a Musical Work.

Musical Work means the music and lyrics (if any) which are embodied on a Master Recording.

Not For Profit means an organisation which is recognised by the law of the organisation’s home country as a not-for-profit or charitable organisation. OpenSea may request proof of your not-for-profit status if you select a not for profit licence.

Online means use on websites for streaming purposes only, including user-generated websites such as YouTube, Vimeo and social media. Does not include any premium or paid streaming services such as Netflix, or any broadcast media.

Permitted Use means the use or uses available to you under a particular OpenSea licence.

Perpetual means forever. Perpetual licences are perfect for projects which are going to be distributed on an ongoing basis.

Single-use means that the Track can only be used in one project. If you want to use the same Track in a different project you will have to obtain another licence.

Territory means the country or countries where the Licence is valid.

Track means the sound recording and the musical work embodied on that sound recording.

Can’t find the answer to your question?

Send us an email hello@jazzcowboyproductions.com.au.